Social Icons

Pages

Σάββατο 12 Δεκεμβρίου 2015

That's why Roger Federer sacked Stefan Edberg

Thats why Roger Federer sacked Stefan Edberg 
After two years of working together, Roger Federer has parted ways with coach Stefan Edberg, who will be replaced by former world No. 3 Ivan Ljubicic. Federer began his partnership with Edberg in 2014, and since then, the Swiss star has won 11 titles but failed to add to his record 17 Grand Slam championships.



"After 2 very successful years, I would like to thank Stefan Edberg, my childhood idol, for agreeing to join my team," Federer wrote Tuesday on his Facebook page. "It was a dream come true. Although it was supposed to only be for 2014, Stefan was great and agreed to extend the partnership through this year which I really appreciated. He taught me so much and his influence on my game will remain. He will always be a part of my team."

Federer said Severin Luthi, with whom he has worked since 2008, will stay on as his main coach, along with Ljubicic and his longtime physiotherapist and fitness trainer.In 2015, Federer strung together arguably his best season since his dominant 2004-07 reign. He won six titles, including the Western & Southern Open, a Masters 1000 event in Cincinnati. He reached the Wimbledon and US Open finals and lost to world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in both events.

Federer made a concerted effort to play high-octane offense this past season, highlighted by his renewed serve-and-volley game and now-famous SABR (sneak attack by Roger) return tactic. Many in the game attributed the shift in Federer's play to Edberg, one of the all-time great net players.

Edberg, a six-time Grand Slam winner, released a statement to ATPWorldTour.com: "Roger and I had a wonderful two years together. When he originally approached me at the end of 2013, I committed to work with him for only a year. It became very clear from the start that this was going to be a special partnership, working with the greatest ambassador tennis has ever seen. It was exciting for me to be back out on tour and to see that the sport has made so much progress.

"The quality of tennis today is stronger than it has ever been. After an amazing 2014, I decided to continue on for another year, but with a clear understanding that it would be my last year, given the time commitment. I believe Roger still has a lot left to give to the sport of tennis and is capable of winning the big events." Federer will make his 2016 debut at the Brisbane International, which begins Jan. 3.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

VIDEO OF THE DAY

 
Blogger Templates